Saturday, October 3, 2009

ODE TO ME...ON OCTOBER O-THREE

SO, today I am 27-- just a mere three years from thirty. I know this year is going to be magical because I have a thing with threes. I was born on the third, things always seem to happen to me in threes, and for awhile I was pretty superstitious about always seeing the number three everywhere--especially if I saw it on a clock 3:33. Weird, I know. But, since I'm three years away from being thirty, it must be a special year. haha--at least I can think so! When thirty is creeping upon you, you have to be cheery about it in SOME way. hehe. SO, what do I think about my birth? WELL, I do know that it was a rather dramatic way to enter the world. I have to hand it to my mom--she just wouldn't take "NO" for an answer. When I was handed to her on that fateful day 27 years ago I looked like I was turning deeper and deeper shades of purple. Everyone told her I was fine, but she insisted that I was NOT and finally convinced a random tech that he needed to check me out a LITTLE BIT closer. Well, he did and they had to emergency suction out a bunch of fluid out of my lungs that I had swallowed on the way out. I almost died! Then I spent the next 24 hours in an incubator. And thus began my life...
My mom tells me this story pretty much every year. Now that I'm a mom, I can totally appreciate the scariness of that story. I can't imagine how awful it must have been to be handed your sweet tiny baby only to realize that she's not breathing normally, turning black, and no one is listening to you! Apparently in 1982 they didn't check babies very closely.

And so, here I am, and I had quite nearly the most perfect birthday ever (it has been going on for a few days now)...starting with our trip to the farm on the 1st, then yesterday we met my parents in Springfield and they treated me to a yummy dinner, then we met up with Aaron's parents who took us to his little brother's high school football game, which was fun mainly because Oliver and Everett were being really cute and excited about it...and then today was the cherry on top. Aaron and the boys let me sleep in--way in--till 10:00! I haven't slept that long in years! And then they woke me up with beautiful roses and tons of gummies. They let me take as long as I wanted to get ready today and leisurely listen to conference, then we walked around Powell and perused antique shops. (AKA I perused antique shops while they waited outside!--Little boys and antique shops don't mix well!) Instead of cake, we stopped at a bakery and got the yummiest, hugest brownie and a cinnamon roll. The boys were in heaven! After we let them get some wiggles out at a park for awhile, we drove over to Rachel and Mark's house and spent the evening hanging out with them and had dinner and a bonfire (complete with s'mores) with them. In all this, I took zero pictures! I will have to remember to take pics NEXT b-day. SO, that's the minute-by-minute of my 27th birthday. And the celebration isn't over yet...because on the 8th is our 5th anniversary and on the 13th is Aaron's birthday...PARTY-ON!

2 comments:

The Letteer Family said...

I didn't know that about your birth! How scary!!!

I'm glad you had such a good birthday!

The Kammeyers said...

We love October as well! My Aaron's B-Day is the 28th, and there's just something special about Autumn being in the air and the promise of the holidays on the horizon! :) Anyway, glad you had a great birthday!