WARNING:
I am going to sound incredibly cheesy in the following entry...but it's been on my mind, so DEAL. 'Kay?
I'm a hopeless romantic--perhaps it's obvious to those around me, but maybe not. Growing up I obsessively watched movies like Ann of Green Gables, or any romantic old musical like Meet Me In St. Louis or...Two Weeks in Love, or Neptune's Daughter (some of my all-time fave's)... all the while dreaming of my own love story to come to pass. I think these movies set me up for some high expectations of what "romance" is. Romance is having a drop-dead cute guy singing to you, or randomly dancing with you in a moonlit park, or holding your hand on a trolley (okay, we don't have those much anymore...but holding hands on a trolley hits my top ten romantic things to do list-hahaha)...As a dreamy young girl growing up I looked forward to having someone fall head over heals for me, and be desperately dedicated to making me happy...and I just assumed when that happened I would feel the same.. BUT, in my dating relationships I often found myself in weird relationships with boys I didn't really like, that were kinda obsessed with me. It was incredibly flattering for guys to try to do over-the-top dates and buy me things to try to "win me over"...but I never really felt the same for any of them--until Aaron. I have been thinking about how we met and fell in love lately (which I think is a sweet story--but it's long, and I'm too tired to tell it right now), and I don't know why--maybe because lately we are like two separate moons revolving around the same planet called "Children." I want to make a sequel to all the movies I watched growing up called: "What REALLY happened after they rode into the sunset..." and then make all dreamy-eyed girls watch it before they enter marital bliss. I don't mean to sound like a beaten down old married woman--haha--I just mean, that after we had kids our Romance-o-meter started going down down down...and for hardly more reason than that we hardly see eachother, and when we do--we are either busy with the kids or eating...eating takes up like most of my day anyhow with Oliver's insatiable appetite and thirst! Add to the mix a lack of sleep and we are on a down-hill slope to marital monotony. BLAH! SO, I've been reflecting on my husband. Why did I fall in love with him? What did we use to do for fun? What did we use to talk about? And I have come to a conclusion: I can't just wait for romance to come to me! Aaron is probably just as tired as I am (I'm estimating-but probably, if we actually were able to measure exhaustion, I would definitely win hands-down)...and if we are seriously going to be married for ETERNITY, I had better figure out a way that we can have fun, be in love and feel romantic towards eachother on a regular basis. OKAY people? SO...with all that said, I thought I would ask for comments/suggestions on what makes YOUR relationship super awesome and romantic. I want date ideas, day-to-day life ideas, conversation ideas, pretty much any tips you got, will be GREAT! I am on a quest to win over my husband, and have our marriage be on the Eternal-BLISS track. And now...I"m done.
7 comments:
I often thought that, that would be a good idea to make and after the happily ever after. i.e. after kids.
Our favorite thing is to go on walks, as a family or just Shawn and I. We spend a lot of time walking around our neighborhood or at parks or if its date night and we are being cheap we walk around the short north and window shop with jeni's ice cream (that we share:)) Or even at Easton. If your only objective is walking then you are kinda forced to talk and probably even hold hands!
did my comment get published??
man! I just wrote a really long comment and it all got erased somehow. ANYWAYS, I think it is AWESOME that you want to try to step up the romance! I know how hard it is to find a fun, not the run-of-mill date that is affordable! I will say, I am really wanting for Nate and I to do just like a one day swing-dancing class for 1 hour, and then they have like a 2 hour dance afterwards! I think Aaron could enjoy it if you just do it for the fun of it, not to actually become an awesome dancer or anything! LOL! I just think its sweet to be in eachother's arms swinging eachother around! Also, check your newspapers activities section, they have a lot of cool things to do and how much they cost! We all need to make a pact as sisters to go on at LEAST 1-2 dates a month, alone with our hubbies on a fun date. Seriously!!! And don't forget, I'm only an hour away if you are in desperate need of a babysitter for the evening!
playing spin the bottle while we are dressed up like lord of the rings characters always lights my fire....
or listening to prince while you have a cotton candy fight could really do wonders....
I'm full of ideas aren't I?
Thank you to my dedicated readers for your comments :) heehee--I love that you guys even took the time to comment! I sometimes like to pretend like my blog is really famous and tons of people are dying to read it...haha. I love all the ideas! I will have to get ready to try a bit harder and kick it up a notch. Amelia--dressing up like Lord of the Rings might be TOO romantic--Aaron might be overwhelmed with delight--but who should I be? Froto or Gnimley??... hahaha
Good post Steph! I am not sure either about keeping romance alive...but I will say that being able to think your hubby is funny ranks pretty high on my romance-o-meter. If I can look at him and 1. think he looks cute, and 2. have him make me laugh then it's a winning situation for him!! haha!
Candles and a good home-cooked meal always melts MY Aaron's butter. I guess I can't say a whole lot as we don't have kids yet, but I definitely plan to continue our "date nights just the 2 of us" in the future. They're important! :) Anyway, hope you guys are having a great summer!
Post a Comment