Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Oddities of my Summer

So, this has been an odd summer for me for various reasons. For one thing, many people don't realize that I was attacked by a tick...I got it off luckily, but then like a week later I found ANOTHER one in my HAIR!!! It was dead, luckily, but it seriously made me soooo paranoid. I honestly saw like two more ticks later in June creeping around my car. One was about to jump on my mother in law, and the other was on Oliver!!! Up to this summer I had never seen a tick in my LIFE. The next odd thing to occur for me was I noticed one night a really sore spot behind my left ear...upon further investigation I had big swelling behind my ear--which was really unusual! I was scared I had lyme disease from the tick! After seeing multiple doctors, an x-ray of my head lots of blood work, and then surgery...It was determined that although unusual, the lumps behind my ear were not cancerous nor due to lyme disease I was SO relieved and grateful that I was still healthy. Odd, but healthy. haha. My left ear looks a bit like frankestein...but it's healing--and that's good. One may think, what else can happen to this poor girl? Hasn't she suffered enough??? WELL, Last thursday I woke up with a bug bite of some sort on my right forearm. It was itchy, so I knew it was either a spider bite or something poisonous. By saturday my arm was extremely painful and it was red and swelling!!! Sunday afternoon, after being freaked out that it was actually the bite of a brown recluse or something like it, I headed into the ER. I waited for like two hours to see a doctor, who assured me that it was NOT a brown recluse bite (if it was my skin would be like black and dying...EWWWWW). Instead, it was simply a bug bite that got infected! Without much forewarning, she then numbed me up (which actually hurt worse than anything else), and cut my arm open right then and there! Lets just say, I was not mentally prepared for how much blood could come out of a rather small cut! It was only like a half inch--criss-cross cut, but I couldn't watch--I thought I was going to faint or puke...I wasn't sure which. She then stuffed it full of gauze (which I am supposedly going to have to remove MYSELF, TOMORROW--I have no idea how THAT is going to go down) and wrapped up my arm and sent me on my merry way.
Not a half hour after she worked on my arm, the numbing wore off and I have been in horrible pain since then...well, horrible considering I'm on antibiotics and Vicodin every six hours.
Perhaps I needed to be humbled...REALLY humbled...like getting ready for the second coming sort of humbled.
And the icing on the cake? Aaron decided that Sunday would be a GREAT day to start potty training Oliver. Apparently Sunday went really well (I was at church and the ER all sunday) so we decided to continue today... So today...as Aaron went back to work...I was at home...with a gimpy arm, a three-month old, and a little two year old who went through like five pairs of undies...because it's really hard to hold it all the way down our hall to the potty. I have to give him credit though, he's doing pretty well and went #1 and #2 in the potty today! Go Oliver! It's already tuesday...I should hit the sack so I can be ready for day three of potty boot camp.

4 comments:

Kritta22 said...

So you and bugs don't get along...maybe you should move up here to Alaska where you only have to worry about mosquitoes!! Way to go Oliver for working so hard! (sorry to you for all the extra laundry!

Rachel H said...

Yay for Oliver!!

The Cochran Family said...

Wow, you poor thing! You seem to have all the luck! When I got home that night I saw my first ROACH! We have called a terminator and he is coming tomorrow so all is well! Good for OLI and good for Erin for starting it, hopefully he finfished what he started though yes?

Chapman Channel said...

Bugs and I are a bad combination...and Oliver? That's my next posting here...right now!