People who are closely related to me know that I have a strange affinity for cherries. I love them in all forms. There is something about the contrast between bright red and green that makes me happy. Besides the fact that they make anything taste yummier...well, maybe not ANYTHING. But practically :)... When my Great-Grandma Bartz (Lena) was alive, we'd eat lunch almost every day at her house-- whenever we were up North in MI visiting grandparents and relatives. I always HAD to drink out of a certain glass at her house: a little tiny cherry glass. It was probably a shot glass, but I loved it when I was little--it was the perfect size! And the cherries were bright and cheery (and retro). Amelia, for some reason usually got the bird glass...(Amelia--do you have an affinity for birds? hehe). Anyhow, when Grandma Bartz passed away a few years ago, I got to pick out a few memories that I wanted to keep from her house. Amongst my treasures was that cherry glass! I wish I had taken a picture of it, for one day last year it got swallowed (unbeknownst to me) by our garbage disposal (it was a very little glass) and I, or Aaron, ground it up. I didn't even know we did that until the garbage disposal in our apartment stopped working and the fix-it guy had to come and see what was wrong--and what to my amazement did he pull out of it, but the thick glass bottom of my beloved cherry glass!!! There was nothing left of it but that! I was really really sad. SO in conclusion, I was REALLY happy when I found this cherry-themed dishes because it reminded me so much of that glass. Who knows, maybe someday when I'm an old grandma my grandkids and great grandkids will remember MY retro cherry dishes and have sweet memories of delicious lunches together.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
So last night I randomly found on 90% off clearance these dishes:


People who are closely related to me know that I have a strange affinity for cherries. I love them in all forms. There is something about the contrast between bright red and green that makes me happy. Besides the fact that they make anything taste yummier...well, maybe not ANYTHING. But practically :)... When my Great-Grandma Bartz (Lena) was alive, we'd eat lunch almost every day at her house-- whenever we were up North in MI visiting grandparents and relatives. I always HAD to drink out of a certain glass at her house: a little tiny cherry glass. It was probably a shot glass, but I loved it when I was little--it was the perfect size! And the cherries were bright and cheery (and retro). Amelia, for some reason usually got the bird glass...(Amelia--do you have an affinity for birds? hehe). Anyhow, when Grandma Bartz passed away a few years ago, I got to pick out a few memories that I wanted to keep from her house. Amongst my treasures was that cherry glass! I wish I had taken a picture of it, for one day last year it got swallowed (unbeknownst to me) by our garbage disposal (it was a very little glass) and I, or Aaron, ground it up. I didn't even know we did that until the garbage disposal in our apartment stopped working and the fix-it guy had to come and see what was wrong--and what to my amazement did he pull out of it, but the thick glass bottom of my beloved cherry glass!!! There was nothing left of it but that! I was really really sad. SO in conclusion, I was REALLY happy when I found this cherry-themed dishes because it reminded me so much of that glass. Who knows, maybe someday when I'm an old grandma my grandkids and great grandkids will remember MY retro cherry dishes and have sweet memories of delicious lunches together.
People who are closely related to me know that I have a strange affinity for cherries. I love them in all forms. There is something about the contrast between bright red and green that makes me happy. Besides the fact that they make anything taste yummier...well, maybe not ANYTHING. But practically :)... When my Great-Grandma Bartz (Lena) was alive, we'd eat lunch almost every day at her house-- whenever we were up North in MI visiting grandparents and relatives. I always HAD to drink out of a certain glass at her house: a little tiny cherry glass. It was probably a shot glass, but I loved it when I was little--it was the perfect size! And the cherries were bright and cheery (and retro). Amelia, for some reason usually got the bird glass...(Amelia--do you have an affinity for birds? hehe). Anyhow, when Grandma Bartz passed away a few years ago, I got to pick out a few memories that I wanted to keep from her house. Amongst my treasures was that cherry glass! I wish I had taken a picture of it, for one day last year it got swallowed (unbeknownst to me) by our garbage disposal (it was a very little glass) and I, or Aaron, ground it up. I didn't even know we did that until the garbage disposal in our apartment stopped working and the fix-it guy had to come and see what was wrong--and what to my amazement did he pull out of it, but the thick glass bottom of my beloved cherry glass!!! There was nothing left of it but that! I was really really sad. SO in conclusion, I was REALLY happy when I found this cherry-themed dishes because it reminded me so much of that glass. Who knows, maybe someday when I'm an old grandma my grandkids and great grandkids will remember MY retro cherry dishes and have sweet memories of delicious lunches together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm glad you got some new cherry dishes! ...and at 90% off! That's amazing!
I always got the darn bird glass but I liked the cherry one way better. those are really cute. it's funny how little kids notice the small details..like cherries on a glass.
What a deal! And a very funny post :)
Stephanie, they are beautiful. Your house looks beautiful. I am very impressed that you were able to pull off finishing the painting and put together an amazing Christmas Eve dinner. You always seem to amaze me.
Stepanie, I have a strong affinity for cherries myself. :) In fact, the nickname for my little red car is "Cherry," and one of my favorite beverages is the "Shirley Temple," complete with a few cherries of course. :) Anyway, what a find on the dishes! Very nice.
~Lauren
Post a Comment