Saturday, October 27, 2007

Some things aren't meant to be...








I woke up yesterday with a few small goals in relation to sewing projects I wanted to finish. VERY few goals, but instead it turned into an all day battle. At first my tension just seemed to be off, but for the life of me I couldn't get it to sew without jamming up into a wad in the bobbin area ( I don't really know alot of sewing lingo)...anyhow, so it was making everything take like four times as long to sew, because every few inches I would have to stop and unjam the thread knot, before I could keep going. A few times I really thought I fixed the problem myself. Well, it was also the ward Halloween party and I had decided to try to make Oliver a little Halloween candy bag. It was going to take like max half an hour, cuz i was determined to keep it simple. Well, instead, like two hours later after I was near tears, I finally researched my sewing machine website enough to realize that nothing they suggested on the "HELP" pages was helping...so I found a customer service number. Unfortunately for me, it was busy. Apparently there was an overabundance of sewing machine problems that needed addressed that night. So, I gave up and tried to make some rice crispy treats for the party. But, while I was stirring the melting concoction, I thought I'd try ONE more time and I actually got through to a live person!!! I sat down at the machine and they led me through what seemed to be a series of rather pointless steps. BUT, to my relief, they did in fact seem to solve my problem! So, with renewed energy and happiness I started to hurry and finish my little bag. WELL, I really can't say how it happened, it all seems so foggy now, but, I soon was in excruciating pain with my FINGER completely jammed up in the machine! It sounds really bizarre, but somehow in my rush I was just not being careful and it got sucked up into the mechanics, I guess. I was like freaking out and Oliver was so scared because I was bawling and trying to unjam my finger, but I couldn't figure out which knob would loosen the clamp that was holding my in such painful captivity. I started to feel kind of desperate like I would have to drive myself to urgent care with my finger in a sewing machine...mind you, I wasn't bleeding, so it wasn't like out of a horror movie or anything. But it hurt like heck!!! I tried pulling it out with mere strength, and the human body is extremely resilient to being smashed--It stayed right where it was at. I did, finally fidget with the machine and loosen the part it was in and got out. At that point it hit me. It had won. My battle was over. I threw away the Halloween bag project and just cried and then I kind of laughed because honestly, that was all pretty crazy. I'm so stubborn it took me almost losing a finger to finally give up! But, I'm not stupid, and trust me, it will be awhile before I approach that devil machine again. And, to top it off, my rice crispy treats burned to a blackened blob. Some things just aren't meant to be.



On a cheerier note: I pulled myself together a little costume and we went to the party. I was trying for gypsy, but I think I kind of looked more like a hippy...Oliver was a giraffe and cute as could be. It was fun to watch him trick or treat--he really got into it.

No comments: